Deckhand (River Operations)
Major mining company seeks a motivated individual to work as a Deckhand. Deckhands are responsible for all daily operations of barges and vessels. Daily responsibilities include: making the tow, delivering the tow, checking the fleet (lines, cables, hatches, water), retrieving/placing lanterns, performing pre-operational checks and cleaning the vessel. Responsible for general maintenance of pumps/hoses, wires and lanterns. Will perform general repairs as needed.
- Be able to hear, comprehend and follow verbal instructions communicated in the English language.
- Be familiar with Inland Waterways Regulations.
- Work safely and wear required personal protective equipment.
- Be available to work seven days per week 12 hour work days (6 hours on/6 hours off).
- Be accountable, responsible and dependable.
- Make decisions.
- Make judgments.
- Operate machinery.
- Work/Interact with others.
- Train, teach or give directions.
- Follow direction.
- Product knowledge.
- Be able to visually inspect
- Work around operating equipment.
- Utilize eye/hand coordination.
- Use hand tools.
Work Schedule: Deckhands are required to work and stay on the vessel for periods of 7 or 14 consecutive days at a time. Normal schedules are 14 consecutive work days with 7 consecutive off days or 7 consecutive work days with 7 consecutive off days. There will be times when deckhands will be required to work beyond their normal 7 or 14 day schedule.
Excellent wage and benefit package available, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription plans; Basic Life/ADD Insurance, vacation and holidays.